Fastest-growing quick-serve restaurants in the US to keep an eye on
Wednesday 16 March 2011
The fastest-growing fast-food restaurant in 2010 is an all-American, home-style burger joint with red and white checkered décor that serves food in grease-lined paper bags and counts perhaps the most famous American as one of its customers.
In a 2009 TV interview for US network NBC, camera crews followed US President Barack Obama into Five Guys Burgers and Fries where he ordered burgers and fries for himself and his staffers, giving the chain perhaps the biggest celebrity endorsement at the time.
According to the latest report from food industry consultancy group Technomic, Five Guys Burgers and Fries showed the biggest growth in 2010 at 38 percent, to gross an estimated $625 million.
The burger joint, which also sells all manner of hot dogs, expanded into Canada a few years ago to become an international chain with locations in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec.
Last year, both US-based magazine Consumer Reports and ZagatBuzz, the online companion to the oldest crowd-sourcing guide, crowned Five Guys the best burger joint in the country based on reader feedback.
The second fastest-growing quick-serve restaurant was Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich Shop, which is only in the US, followed by Chipotle Mexican Grill which also has stores in Canada and the UK. Chipotle posted the highest sales of the batch, at $1.8 billion.
Here's a breakdown of the fastest-growing quick-serve restaurants in the US in 2010 in terms of sales growth. Combined sales of the top ten restaurants accounted for $7.8 billion, an 18 percent increase over 2009.
1. Five Guys Burgers and Fries 38% growth
2. Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich Shop 22%
3. Chipotle Mexican Grill 21%
4. BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse 20%
5. Yard House 18%
6. Cheddar's Casual Café 14%
7. Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar 14%
8. Firehouse Subs 14%
9. Noodles & Company 14%
10. Panda Express 13%
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...