A new weigh ahead for dining out
It is the most reliable mechanism against over-eating: charging customers by the weight of what they order. Or at least that's one of the reasons served up by the chef at Gramo in Dubai. The new restaurant at the Al Jawhara hotel has drawn national and international comment, as Dubai has up until now been considered the land of the all-you-can-eat buffet.
Of course, in other places around the world it's not such a new thing. In Brazil, the "kilo" restaurant, as it's known, is a culinary phenomenon. Harried office workers have long been acquainted with them, too. The Whole Foods supermarket next to The Independent's office is one such place. As a frequent luncher there, I can offer Gramo's diners a word or two of advice: eschew beef for salmon, drain the sauce from curries, and get the potatoes only if you are willing to remortgage your house.
Life & Style blogs
Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
Palcohol: US Government reveals it has approved powdered alcohol
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
How dementia is changing me: My battle with an ever-shifting identity
It’s a pizza! And a cake!! What’s not to like? (The calories)
- 1 ‘Leeds is on fire’: Huge chemical-fuelled blaze on Armley industrial estate leads to hazardous smoke warning for city
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...