A new weigh ahead for dining out
It is the most reliable mechanism against over-eating: charging customers by the weight of what they order. Or at least that's one of the reasons served up by the chef at Gramo in Dubai. The new restaurant at the Al Jawhara hotel has drawn national and international comment, as Dubai has up until now been considered the land of the all-you-can-eat buffet.
Of course, in other places around the world it's not such a new thing. In Brazil, the "kilo" restaurant, as it's known, is a culinary phenomenon. Harried office workers have long been acquainted with them, too. The Whole Foods supermarket next to The Independent's office is one such place. As a frequent luncher there, I can offer Gramo's diners a word or two of advice: eschew beef for salmon, drain the sauce from curries, and get the potatoes only if you are willing to remortgage your house.
Life & Style blogs
City traders pay £200 for a quick hangover cure
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
The Pirate Bay is back — but key staff have left to start a rival site
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
- 5 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...