A new weigh ahead for dining out
It is the most reliable mechanism against over-eating: charging customers by the weight of what they order. Or at least that's one of the reasons served up by the chef at Gramo in Dubai. The new restaurant at the Al Jawhara hotel has drawn national and international comment, as Dubai has up until now been considered the land of the all-you-can-eat buffet.
Of course, in other places around the world it's not such a new thing. In Brazil, the "kilo" restaurant, as it's known, is a culinary phenomenon. Harried office workers have long been acquainted with them, too. The Whole Foods supermarket next to The Independent's office is one such place. As a frequent luncher there, I can offer Gramo's diners a word or two of advice: eschew beef for salmon, drain the sauce from curries, and get the potatoes only if you are willing to remortgage your house.
Life & Style blogs
Versace haute couture review: Beautiful evening dresses are some of the loveliest Donatella has ever created
What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Minecraft: Story Mode trailer revealed with cast of stars
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...