After fears about mackerel sustainability, try our superchefs' alternatives
From spiced sardines to avocado and anchovy salad
The Marine Conservation Society may have removed mackerel from its “fish to eat” list after a dispute about overfishing, but there are still plenty of other oily fish in the sea.
From spiced sardines to avocado and anchovy salad, we’ve trawled The Independent’s recipe archive to bring you best recipes around.
Life & Style blogs
Scientists develop blood test to detect Alzheimer's disease
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Stevia wonder: The plant that's a super sugar alternative – and free from calories and carbs
International Women's Day 2014: Google makes 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world for animated Doodle
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Russia has made 'big miscalculation' over Ukraine warns Hague
- 5 Swarm of killer bees sting woman 1,000 times
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...