Bacon chop with raisins
I love a good bacon chop and I'm not sure why more butchers don't sell them – we have been buying some fantastic Moyallon sweet-cured, smoked bacon chops from Hannan Meats in Northern Ireland, which were awarded a 3-star gold in the Great Taste Awards.
4 bacon chops, weighing about 200g each
Vegetable oil for brushing
40g of raisins soaked for 24 hours in warm water
1 medium onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
20g flour, plus some for dusting
200ml cider or wine
300ml chicken stock
Preheat a ribbed griddle pan, brush the chops with a little oil and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and gently cook the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft, add the flour and cook on a low heat for a minute, then gradually add the cider or wine and stock to avoid lumps forming, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
Drain the raisins; simmer them gently in the sauce for a couple of minutes. Serve the sauce spooned over the chops or separately.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
WhatsApp: How to discover who your best friends are - using a hidden tool within the application
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...