Bill Granger recipe: Cavolo nero and courgette soup with chickpeas
Sunday 05 January 2014
This soup ticks all the boxes: warming, flavoursome, wholesome and revitalising.
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
2 courgettes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
¼ tsp crushed chillies, plus extra to serve
1 litre good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
300g cavolo nero, stalks removed and shredded
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Freshly grated Parmesan, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat. Add the courgettes, garlic, onion and chillies. Season with salt and cover. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until tender.
Pour in the stock, increase the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Whiz with a hand-held blender until smooth. Bring back to the boil and add the cavolo nero and chickpeas.
Simmer for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan, extra crushed chillies and a drizzle of olive oil.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...