Bites: Nothing says 'I love you' like a blindfold
Sunday 01 February 2009
Valentine's Day has long been a licence for restaurants to unleash horrifying gimmicks on customers. Aphrodisiac menus, petals on the tablecloth or, in the case of London's Met Bar this year, a scary-sounding silk blindfold embroidered with the words "when Romeo met Juliet". At least the Dorchester has come up with something a bit more useful: an invite for anyone booked in on the 14th to go into Alain Ducasse's kitchen during the day and prepare macaroons to serve to their loved ones that evening.
For those seeking something a little more traditional, London's newest oyster bar and bistro The Commander has just opened in Bayswater.
It seems that the Oscars are a licence for a few gimmicks too. Sibling Indian restaurants Tamarind and Imli are both cashing in on... sorry, "paying tribute" to, awards favourite Slumdog Millionaire: while Soho's Imli has Mumbai-style street food on its menu, its Mayfair sister is putting on a lavish millionaire's feast. Just don't start giving a speech when your meal turns up.
Life & Style blogs
What is Lyme disease, what are the symptoms and is treatment readily available?
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 4 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
- 5 Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview after being asked about possible sale of Manchester United target Sergio Ramos
iJobs Food & Drink
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To work within the Visitor Experience Departm...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...