Bites: Wozza matter you, hey?
Sunday 15 February 2009
As the credit crunch continues, so too does the rising tide of restaurant closures. Anthony Worrall Thompson has been moaning about the deserting diners and foreclosing banks which have forced him to close four restaurants.
Tom Aikens managed to rescue two of his though left his suppliers out of pocket, while Raymond Blanc's Manchester brasserie also bit the dust.
But it's not all doom and gloom for diners. Clapham's Avalon dining-room has just introduced a menu offering half-price food, for example, while London's Lanesborough has launched a Sunday "credit brunch" with unlimited glasses of prosecco. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon and Arbutus are both doing lunch for less than £20, while the Waterloo Brasserie is serving it for £11. But best of all has to be Clerkenwell's Little Bay, which has torn up its price list and is asking diners to pay just what they think the meal is worth. "It's up to each customer whether they give £100 or a penny," they say. Sounds like a bargain to us.
Life & Style blogs
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Condom couture: Latex dresses hit the catwalk to raise awareness for HIV and Aids
- 1 Calum Chambers: Southampton's latest example of Generation X-factor
- 2 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Exclusive: David Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...