Bites: Wozza matter you, hey?
As the credit crunch continues, so too does the rising tide of restaurant closures. Anthony Worrall Thompson has been moaning about the deserting diners and foreclosing banks which have forced him to close four restaurants.
Tom Aikens managed to rescue two of his though left his suppliers out of pocket, while Raymond Blanc's Manchester brasserie also bit the dust.
But it's not all doom and gloom for diners. Clapham's Avalon dining-room has just introduced a menu offering half-price food, for example, while London's Lanesborough has launched a Sunday "credit brunch" with unlimited glasses of prosecco. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon and Arbutus are both doing lunch for less than £20, while the Waterloo Brasserie is serving it for £11. But best of all has to be Clerkenwell's Little Bay, which has torn up its price list and is asking diners to pay just what they think the meal is worth. "It's up to each customer whether they give £100 or a penny," they say. Sounds like a bargain to us.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...