Daily grind: An expert's guide to making the perfect cup of coffee
Sunday 19 May 2013
If you thought that making a cup of coffee simply involved a teaspoon of instant and a splash of milk, wake up and smell the proverbial! The 14th World Barista Championship takes place this week, and here we provide an expert guide to perking up, courtesy of Ryan Cross of Ristretto Roasters in Portland, Oregon
You will need:
A French press
120g coffee beans
A timer with a beeper
1. Grind the coffee on the coarsest setting and pour into French press
2. Set timer to four minutes
3. Heat the water to just below boiling point and pour over granules to saturate them, then pour to halfway up the press
4. Start timer
5. Allow the coffee to sit for one minute, then use the spoon to gently press the coffee down 2 to 3 times to break the crust. Do not stir
6. Pour in the remaining boiling water
7. Set the top on the French press and depress the plunger to just below the water line, then lift up a half-inch to create a crema level
8. When the timer beeps, depress the French press fully. Pour out a small amount of coffee to remove any grounds trapped in the filter
9. Pour and drink immediately
10. Enjoy the buzz
Life & Style blogs
Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
Everyone should watch this boy's reaction to learning he will be a big brother
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Ashley Madison hack: Just three in every 10,000 female accounts on infidelity website are real
A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 1 Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
- 2 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe the Stark may have a twin sister
- 3 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
iJobs Food & Drink
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Brand Manager / Marketing Campaign Manager is req...