Daily grind: An expert's guide to making the perfect cup of coffee
Sunday 19 May 2013
If you thought that making a cup of coffee simply involved a teaspoon of instant and a splash of milk, wake up and smell the proverbial! The 14th World Barista Championship takes place this week, and here we provide an expert guide to perking up, courtesy of Ryan Cross of Ristretto Roasters in Portland, Oregon
You will need:
A French press
120g coffee beans
A timer with a beeper
1. Grind the coffee on the coarsest setting and pour into French press
2. Set timer to four minutes
3. Heat the water to just below boiling point and pour over granules to saturate them, then pour to halfway up the press
4. Start timer
5. Allow the coffee to sit for one minute, then use the spoon to gently press the coffee down 2 to 3 times to break the crust. Do not stir
6. Pour in the remaining boiling water
7. Set the top on the French press and depress the plunger to just below the water line, then lift up a half-inch to create a crema level
8. When the timer beeps, depress the French press fully. Pour out a small amount of coffee to remove any grounds trapped in the filter
9. Pour and drink immediately
10. Enjoy the buzz
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Food & Drink
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...