Daily grind: An expert's guide to making the perfect cup of coffee
Sunday 19 May 2013
If you thought that making a cup of coffee simply involved a teaspoon of instant and a splash of milk, wake up and smell the proverbial! The 14th World Barista Championship takes place this week, and here we provide an expert guide to perking up, courtesy of Ryan Cross of Ristretto Roasters in Portland, Oregon
You will need:
A French press
120g coffee beans
A timer with a beeper
1. Grind the coffee on the coarsest setting and pour into French press
2. Set timer to four minutes
3. Heat the water to just below boiling point and pour over granules to saturate them, then pour to halfway up the press
4. Start timer
5. Allow the coffee to sit for one minute, then use the spoon to gently press the coffee down 2 to 3 times to break the crust. Do not stir
6. Pour in the remaining boiling water
7. Set the top on the French press and depress the plunger to just below the water line, then lift up a half-inch to create a crema level
8. When the timer beeps, depress the French press fully. Pour out a small amount of coffee to remove any grounds trapped in the filter
9. Pour and drink immediately
10. Enjoy the buzz
Life & Style blogs
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Condom couture: Latex dresses hit the catwalk to raise awareness for HIV and Aids
- 1 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...