Daily grind: An expert's guide to making the perfect cup of coffee
Sunday 19 May 2013
If you thought that making a cup of coffee simply involved a teaspoon of instant and a splash of milk, wake up and smell the proverbial! The 14th World Barista Championship takes place this week, and here we provide an expert guide to perking up, courtesy of Ryan Cross of Ristretto Roasters in Portland, Oregon
You will need:
A French press
120g coffee beans
A timer with a beeper
1. Grind the coffee on the coarsest setting and pour into French press
2. Set timer to four minutes
3. Heat the water to just below boiling point and pour over granules to saturate them, then pour to halfway up the press
4. Start timer
5. Allow the coffee to sit for one minute, then use the spoon to gently press the coffee down 2 to 3 times to break the crust. Do not stir
6. Pour in the remaining boiling water
7. Set the top on the French press and depress the plunger to just below the water line, then lift up a half-inch to create a crema level
8. When the timer beeps, depress the French press fully. Pour out a small amount of coffee to remove any grounds trapped in the filter
9. Pour and drink immediately
10. Enjoy the buzz
Life & Style blogs
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
KickAssTorrents down: biggest file-sharing site moves to .cr domain after takedowns
Audrey Hepburn is officially Britain’s style icon – 22 years after her death
Is PMS real? The tale of the premenstrual monster and its meaning
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 3 The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 4 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
- 5 Yazidi sex slaves undergoing surgery to 'restore virginity' after being raped by Isis militants
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This hotel in Chadderton is a p...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£15310 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Situated in the heart of Bradfo...