Hungarian potato and cabbage soup
Saturday 30 January 2010
Paprika is used a lot in Hungarian cooking, and used correctly it gives a slightly sweet, gently spiced warmth to a winter soup or stew. I've used chunks of bacon here but you could cook a ham hock first and make the soup from the stock and use pieces of hock itself in the soup.
1 large onion, peeled, halved, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
120g piece of smoked streaky bacon cut into cm chunks
A couple of good knobs of butter
2ltrs chicken or ham stock
400-500g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm chunks
300-350g green or Savoy cabbage leaves, washed and cut into 2cm squares
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pan and gently cook the onion, garlic, bacon and paprika for 3-4 minutes with a lid on, stirring every so often. Add the stock, season and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and cabbage and continue simmering until they are just cooked. Re-season if necessary and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Iain Duncan Smith's expenses credit card is suspended after he runs up £1,000 debt to taxpayer
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 French woman dies in freak bungee jumping accident
- 5 Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck to divorce and end their 10-year marriage
iJobs Food & Drink
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...
£39,000: ICE ICT: Specific and detailed knowledge and experience of travel sys...