Low-cost supermarkets bid for middle-classes as Aldi offers 1973 Napoleon Vintage Brandy worth £107 for bargain price of £29.99
Once, gourmets and bon viveurs might have looked down on budget supermarkets. Now they are more likely to be looking up where they could find their nearest store.
Hastening the search will be the news this week that Aldi was charging £29.99 for a bottle of the 1973 vintage of Fine Napoleon Brandy - which has a list price of £107 - value not so much to be sniffed at but rather deeply inhaled. The chain store, which now has more than 500 outlets across the country, has been building a reputation as a wine merchant with its "Exquisite Collection" range and caught the noses of wine writers this week for its Champagne Veuve Monsigny Philizot & Fils which costs £12.99. Its low-cost rival Lidl is also appears to be trying to reach the middle-classes with its its first (high budget-looking) television advertisement this week.
The trend follows the likes of the Primark boom, which has seen those from all socio-economic backgrounds rush to snap up cheap clothes. And too the Christmas specials of a couple of years ago, which saw very cheap lobsters on offer. Whether cut-price Cuban cigars and caviar are next remains to be seen, but what is certain is that our cheap stores will likely be keeping many Britons in the Christmas spirit this year.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...