My Life On A Plate: Tom Parker Bowles
Saturday 23 February 2008
Tom Parker Bowles is a food writer, TV presenter and the author of The Year of Eating Dangerously (Ebury)
My favourite restaurant: I think Café Anglais at the moment. A wonderful room, brilliant menu and great food, it's also the sort of place designed for a long lunch or dinner.
Comfort eating: Cottage pie and peas is pretty unbeatable, or chicken stock spiked with chillies, fish sauce and lime juice, and a pile of rice noodles sitting in the bottom. And a slow cooked ragu sauce, which blips away on the cooker all afternoon, then served with penne and piles of parmesan, is pure bliss.
My top cookbook: Probably Jane Grigson's English Food. It's a classic – elegant prose, serious research, brilliant recipes and a dry sense of humour. Also anything by Alan Davidson and Simon Hopkinson.
The food shop I can't walk past: Asian supermarkets are a particular problem. Also, Fortnums, Mr Christians (my local deli) , Grocer on Elgin, and Kingsland, my brilliant local butcher.
What's in my fridge: A bowl of last night's rice, a vac-pac of dried shrimp, a big bottle of fish sauce, a few chilli sauces, ketchup and mayonnaise. And some pretty stinky Cashel Blue and a few bottles of beer.
Tom Parker Bowles presents Market Kitchen on weekdays at 7pm on UKTV Food; The Year of Eating Dangerously is out now (Ebury Press, £7.99)
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...