Observations: Rosie Lovell serves a loving spoonful
Friday 19 June 2009
Forget Cider with Roadies, the latest must-have music missive is actually a cookery book – Spooning with Rosie. Not that you should confuse this with the usual "cooking is the new rock'n'roll" pitch. That was old hat soon after Jamie Oliver drove into town on his oh-so-mod scooter and Gordon Ramsay swore on telly like Lemmy with a headache. Rosie Lovell is cut from a different cloth, inspired as she is by music as much as ingredients.
Five years ago, Rosie set up her welcoming café and delicatessen, where she still serves the lattes, amid the noisy, colourful expanse of indoor Brixton market in south London. Soon her warm smile and attentive service were attracting the area's hip denizens. Her blog documents leftfield doyens the Invisible's visit, while praise from regular supporters and local heroes Basement Jaxx is proudly displayed on her publication's back cover. The café owner's last three boyfriends were all customers, including current squeeze Raf Rundell, co-founder of indie label 1965 Records, home of Dundonian reprobates the View.
Also on her blog is a recipe for spare ribs, devised for 1965's bassline merchant Toddla T, now adopted by the couple, Rosie claims in Spooning. Written while recovering from a brain haemorrhage, this foodie bible reflects its author's penchant for over-indulgence, with plenty of hangover remedies and seduction dishes. Moreover, like a culinary Lily Allen, Rosie has no qualms about showing up her exes, as with the previous boyfriend aroused by a lemon tart. Move over Delia, and tell Nigella the news.
'Spooning with Rosie' is published by Fourth Estate
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...
25,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: CRM Executive – Global Travel Brand – Luto...
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Investigo: A growing group of top end restaurants l...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...