Food & Drink notes
International departures; say cheese; have your cake and eat it
Saturday 09 October 2004
Cookery writers with exotic backgrounds start with an unfair advantage. Tessa Kiros is half Finnish, half Greek, grew up in South Africa and lives in Tuscany with her husband Giovanni. Her second book 'Falling Cloudberries' (Murdoch Books, £25) is a beautifully produced collection of recipes ranging from herrings marinated with dill and allspice to leg of lamb with oregano and lemon, and ricotta tart with a chocolate crust. If envy doesn't cloud your vision, it's lovely to look at and cook from.
We've a soft spot for Ravens Oak cheeses. Not just because they have sweet, furry animal faces on their wrappers. After only two years at the Cheshire dairy, 23-year-old cheesemaker Katie Hollinshead won a clutch of rosettes at the recent British Cheese Awards for her hand-made brie-style goat, cow, ewe and buffalo milk cheeses. Stockists include Harrod's and The Cheese Shop, Chester; 01772 781500 for others. From £1.50 per 100g for Burland Green to £1.97 for Kidderton Ash goat's.
Have your cake and eat it
Where do Ruby Red rare-breed beef, jalapeno peppers and award-winning blackcurrant Madeira cake come from? Devon, obviously. This month the county shows off its good things to eat - www.devoncelebration
offood.co.uk has details of many mouthwatering events. Joshua's Harvest Store, Ottery St Mary (01404 815473/www.joshuasharveststore. co.uk) has more than its fair share of treats including the Berry Delicious cake. Buy it there or online for £3.95 plus postage.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...