Signs of good taste: How restaurants, cafes, markets and food shops grab our attention
Saturday 22 May 2010
Long before I even started thinking of writing about food, I was taking pictures around the world of the kaleidoscope of graphic signs and images that restaurants and markets use to make themselves stand out.
It all began when I went to live in Malaysia, where a friend advised me to start photographing local signs the moment they caught my eye, before the initial shock disappeared – hardly difficult when street-side stalls were enticing customers with signs for delicacies such as Frog Porridge or Sister Drunken Chicken Mee.
Since then I've snapped red hot chillies in Mexico, swirling Arabic script advertising Schweppes Tonic, a fabulous 1930s Italian typeface for the venerable Zucca aperitif and a fearsome fish outside one of Hong Kong's greatest seafood restaurants that probably actually scares away diners.
The Germans turn frankfurters into cartoon characters, the Belgians bring "frites" to life – and who could resist the temptation to pick an exotic-looking titbit from a street stall called The Fatman?
Life & Style blogs
Pioneering 3D printing used to rebuild British man's face
25 years of the World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee explains how it all began
Tomnod: How to join the virtual search party scanning satellite imagery for missing flight MH370
The Web is 25: Let's look at some baby photos of your favourite websites
iOS 7.1: How to get iPhone update, and what to do once you've got it
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 3 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 4 Rampaging elephant smashes up house but then 'saves crying baby trapped under debris'
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Exc...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...