Signs of good taste: How restaurants, cafes, markets and food shops grab our attention
Saturday 22 May 2010
Long before I even started thinking of writing about food, I was taking pictures around the world of the kaleidoscope of graphic signs and images that restaurants and markets use to make themselves stand out.
It all began when I went to live in Malaysia, where a friend advised me to start photographing local signs the moment they caught my eye, before the initial shock disappeared – hardly difficult when street-side stalls were enticing customers with signs for delicacies such as Frog Porridge or Sister Drunken Chicken Mee.
Since then I've snapped red hot chillies in Mexico, swirling Arabic script advertising Schweppes Tonic, a fabulous 1930s Italian typeface for the venerable Zucca aperitif and a fearsome fish outside one of Hong Kong's greatest seafood restaurants that probably actually scares away diners.
The Germans turn frankfurters into cartoon characters, the Belgians bring "frites" to life – and who could resist the temptation to pick an exotic-looking titbit from a street stall called The Fatman?
Life & Style blogs
Surgeon backs 'good death' plans - and reveals his own
NHS hit by stealth cuts of £2bn as tariffs received for medical procedures are reduced
How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...