Sodastream causes an ad-break fizz with its soft-drinks takedown
Who knew SodaStream even existed 20 years after the machine in my kitchen gave me a semblance of (relative) playground cool that never returned?
Well, it does, and DIY fizz has evidently become such big business that an advert for the carbonation company has been pulled in the UK for taking a pop at the soft-drinks industry.
The 30-second spot features snazzy folk using SodaStream at home. Each time they do so, the ad cuts to scenes of exploding soft drinks. "Save 2,000 bottles a year," it says, implying an environmental benefit.
Clearcast, the body that approves television ads in the UK, decided the commercial "denigrated other soft drinks" and was in breach of industry code. Cue fizzing fury from SodaStream, which insisted it had "neither named nor disparaged" anyone, calling the ban "senseless".
SodaStream had a tricky 1990s when, alas, its syrup-and-gas system stopped being even remotely cool, but it has fared better since a 2010 relaunch.
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
Children warned to not listen to music for more than one hour a day
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...