Sodastream causes an ad-break fizz with its soft-drinks takedown
Who knew SodaStream even existed 20 years after the machine in my kitchen gave me a semblance of (relative) playground cool that never returned?
Well, it does, and DIY fizz has evidently become such big business that an advert for the carbonation company has been pulled in the UK for taking a pop at the soft-drinks industry.
The 30-second spot features snazzy folk using SodaStream at home. Each time they do so, the ad cuts to scenes of exploding soft drinks. "Save 2,000 bottles a year," it says, implying an environmental benefit.
Clearcast, the body that approves television ads in the UK, decided the commercial "denigrated other soft drinks" and was in breach of industry code. Cue fizzing fury from SodaStream, which insisted it had "neither named nor disparaged" anyone, calling the ban "senseless".
SodaStream had a tricky 1990s when, alas, its syrup-and-gas system stopped being even remotely cool, but it has fared better since a 2010 relaunch.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...