Something For The Weekend?
2002 Rodet Syrah; 2001 Carmen Nativa Cabernet Sauvignon; 2000 Vergelegen Merlot
Saturday 16 October 2004
Under a fiver: 2002 Rodet Syrah, Vin de Pays d'Oc, £4.99, Sainsbury's
I was hoping that at least one retailer would pick up on the fact that this magnificently endowed Languedoc red, a paragon of spicy, opulent blackberry fruit, won the syrah trophy at the inaugural Vin de Pays d'Oc awards earlier this year.
Under a tenner:2001 Carmen Nativa Cabernet Sauvignon, £5.99, Waitrose (reduced from £7.99 until 31 October)
This affordable cabernet sauvignon made from organic grapes in Chile has the Maipo Valley's trademark herby aromas of mint and rosemary with a blackcurranty richness. Heavenly with a rack of lamb.
Splash out: 2000 Vergelegen Merlot, £13.99, Oddbins
The class of this sumptuous merlot from one of the Cape's leading wineries is apparent in its spicy bouquet and seductively plummy fruit, with its smooth, richly concentrated fruit quality. One to keep the St-Emilion boys on their toes.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
iJobs Food & Drink
£17000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to the consistent growth of...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity exists for an ex...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity exists for an ou...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...