The 10 Best Autumn white wines
Menus change with the weather and so should your wines. Here's i's selection of top bottles to bring out the season's flavour...
Friday 21 September 2012
1. The Adnams Selection Pinot Grigio 'La Corte'
A clean, fresh and lively palate and finishes on a twist of citrus. A treat with mushroom risotto.
2. El Guia Blanco 2011 Vino de Mesa Spain
Fresh and light wine is made with a splash of verdejo and sauvignon blanc and is astoundingly good, given the price tag.
3. Tesco Finest Marlborough Autumn Picked Riesling 2011
Slightly sweet, with a hint of melon and raisins, but alongside that rich, fruity taste there's a citrus zing – like a crunchy apple.
4. Castelnau de Suduiraut Sauternes 2007
£12.75 half bottle, fromvineyardsdirect.com
Nectar, particularly with apple crumble or rhubarb fool, at a fraction of the price you'd expect.
5. Elegant Frog Viognier
Viognier is a fantastic partner to roast chicken, guinea fowl, tagines and mild curries, so what better time of year to crack open a bottle? Silly name but a stunner.
6. Godello Alma de Blanco, Galicia
Medium-bodied wine is concentrated, but nicely balanced. Boasting luscious aromas of tropical fruits, pear and apricot.
7. Fortnum's Pouilly Fuisse Terres de Pierres, Verget
Specially made for F&M, it has terrific minerality and fruit intensity, while still crisp and fresh.
8. Vega de la Reina Verdejo 2011
Great with rice or seafood pasta dishes. It's as crisp and refreshing as sauvignon blanc, but with softer melon and petal touches.
9. Golden Valley Grasevina, Croatia 2011
A heart-warming partner for roast chicken and pork with crackling, this generous white is from the hills of Kutjevo in Croatia.
10. 2011 War Horse Chenin Blanc, South Africa
Explosively refreshing and cleansing. Pair it with food as it easily has enough vibrancy and freshness.
Life & Style blogs
Dating site hack reveals sexual secrets of 4 million users
Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
Meditation is touted as a cure for mental instability but can it actually be bad for you?
New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...