The 10 Best Autumn white wines
Menus change with the weather and so should your wines. Here's i's selection of top bottles to bring out the season's flavour...
Friday 21 September 2012
1. The Adnams Selection Pinot Grigio 'La Corte'
A clean, fresh and lively palate and finishes on a twist of citrus. A treat with mushroom risotto.
2. El Guia Blanco 2011 Vino de Mesa Spain
Fresh and light wine is made with a splash of verdejo and sauvignon blanc and is astoundingly good, given the price tag.
3. Tesco Finest Marlborough Autumn Picked Riesling 2011
Slightly sweet, with a hint of melon and raisins, but alongside that rich, fruity taste there's a citrus zing – like a crunchy apple.
4. Castelnau de Suduiraut Sauternes 2007
£12.75 half bottle, fromvineyardsdirect.com
Nectar, particularly with apple crumble or rhubarb fool, at a fraction of the price you'd expect.
5. Elegant Frog Viognier
Viognier is a fantastic partner to roast chicken, guinea fowl, tagines and mild curries, so what better time of year to crack open a bottle? Silly name but a stunner.
6. Godello Alma de Blanco, Galicia
Medium-bodied wine is concentrated, but nicely balanced. Boasting luscious aromas of tropical fruits, pear and apricot.
7. Fortnum's Pouilly Fuisse Terres de Pierres, Verget
Specially made for F&M, it has terrific minerality and fruit intensity, while still crisp and fresh.
8. Vega de la Reina Verdejo 2011
Great with rice or seafood pasta dishes. It's as crisp and refreshing as sauvignon blanc, but with softer melon and petal touches.
9. Golden Valley Grasevina, Croatia 2011
A heart-warming partner for roast chicken and pork with crackling, this generous white is from the hills of Kutjevo in Croatia.
10. 2011 War Horse Chenin Blanc, South Africa
Explosively refreshing and cleansing. Pair it with food as it easily has enough vibrancy and freshness.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...