The 10 Best Autumn white wines
Menus change with the weather and so should your wines. Here's i's selection of top bottles to bring out the season's flavour...
Friday 21 September 2012
1. The Adnams Selection Pinot Grigio 'La Corte'
A clean, fresh and lively palate and finishes on a twist of citrus. A treat with mushroom risotto.
2. El Guia Blanco 2011 Vino de Mesa Spain
Fresh and light wine is made with a splash of verdejo and sauvignon blanc and is astoundingly good, given the price tag.
3. Tesco Finest Marlborough Autumn Picked Riesling 2011
Slightly sweet, with a hint of melon and raisins, but alongside that rich, fruity taste there's a citrus zing – like a crunchy apple.
4. Castelnau de Suduiraut Sauternes 2007
£12.75 half bottle, fromvineyardsdirect.com
Nectar, particularly with apple crumble or rhubarb fool, at a fraction of the price you'd expect.
5. Elegant Frog Viognier
Viognier is a fantastic partner to roast chicken, guinea fowl, tagines and mild curries, so what better time of year to crack open a bottle? Silly name but a stunner.
6. Godello Alma de Blanco, Galicia
Medium-bodied wine is concentrated, but nicely balanced. Boasting luscious aromas of tropical fruits, pear and apricot.
7. Fortnum's Pouilly Fuisse Terres de Pierres, Verget
Specially made for F&M, it has terrific minerality and fruit intensity, while still crisp and fresh.
8. Vega de la Reina Verdejo 2011
Great with rice or seafood pasta dishes. It's as crisp and refreshing as sauvignon blanc, but with softer melon and petal touches.
9. Golden Valley Grasevina, Croatia 2011
A heart-warming partner for roast chicken and pork with crackling, this generous white is from the hills of Kutjevo in Croatia.
10. 2011 War Horse Chenin Blanc, South Africa
Explosively refreshing and cleansing. Pair it with food as it easily has enough vibrancy and freshness.
Life & Style blogs
The mother who never gave up on her child abused by the Oxford child sex ring
Britain scrapes into top 25 countries in the world to be a mother in Save the Children report
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 1 Technology company Alibaba posts job advert asking for 'stunning' women with qualities of adult film actress Sora Aoi
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 4 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...