The 10 Best Autumn white wines
Menus change with the weather and so should your wines. Here's i's selection of top bottles to bring out the season's flavour...
Friday 21 September 2012
1. The Adnams Selection Pinot Grigio 'La Corte'
A clean, fresh and lively palate and finishes on a twist of citrus. A treat with mushroom risotto.
2. El Guia Blanco 2011 Vino de Mesa Spain
Fresh and light wine is made with a splash of verdejo and sauvignon blanc and is astoundingly good, given the price tag.
3. Tesco Finest Marlborough Autumn Picked Riesling 2011
Slightly sweet, with a hint of melon and raisins, but alongside that rich, fruity taste there's a citrus zing – like a crunchy apple.
4. Castelnau de Suduiraut Sauternes 2007
£12.75 half bottle, fromvineyardsdirect.com
Nectar, particularly with apple crumble or rhubarb fool, at a fraction of the price you'd expect.
5. Elegant Frog Viognier
Viognier is a fantastic partner to roast chicken, guinea fowl, tagines and mild curries, so what better time of year to crack open a bottle? Silly name but a stunner.
6. Godello Alma de Blanco, Galicia
Medium-bodied wine is concentrated, but nicely balanced. Boasting luscious aromas of tropical fruits, pear and apricot.
7. Fortnum's Pouilly Fuisse Terres de Pierres, Verget
Specially made for F&M, it has terrific minerality and fruit intensity, while still crisp and fresh.
8. Vega de la Reina Verdejo 2011
Great with rice or seafood pasta dishes. It's as crisp and refreshing as sauvignon blanc, but with softer melon and petal touches.
9. Golden Valley Grasevina, Croatia 2011
A heart-warming partner for roast chicken and pork with crackling, this generous white is from the hills of Kutjevo in Croatia.
10. 2011 War Horse Chenin Blanc, South Africa
Explosively refreshing and cleansing. Pair it with food as it easily has enough vibrancy and freshness.
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...