The 10 Best Bottled Beers
Friday 13 January 2012
1. Pitfield 1850 London Porter
This is a black beer with chocolate and malt flavours, brewed to an 1850 Whitbread recipe from a pioneer of British microbrewing.
2. Hop Back Entire Stout
Boasting a strong roasted malt flavour and a long, smooth aftertaste, it was Camra's Supreme Champion Winter Beer of Britain.
3. Worthingtons White Shield IPA
This is feisty and full, with a powerful hoppiness and bittersweet finish. it dates back to the 1820s.
4. Schneider Weisse
A rich and full-bodied beer, tan in colour with a clove-like fruity bouquet. Froma brewery of great history and tradition.
5. Calvors Premium
Most mainstream lagers are watered down from stronger brews, but expect none of this nonsense with Calvors. Brewed in Suffolk.
6. Goose Island IPA
This Chicago beer has shedloads of hops with big herbaceous perfumes: think tangerines, lychees and lime.
7. Coniston Brewing Company Bluebird Bitter
Pale, with just a hint of colour, it has a huge orange fruit aroma, balanced by biscuit malt.
8. Thornbridge Wild Swan
This pale ale is a great session beer. White-gold, it has aromas of light bitter lemon, a hint of herb and a subtle spiciness.
9. St Austell Admiral's Ale
Cornish barley is blended with Styrian Golding and Cascade hops for an award-winning ale.
10. Beer Chang
Beer Chang is Thailand's biggest selling lager. It's not sophisticated but is great with Asian food or as a fun drink on its own.
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...