The 10 best cookery schools
1. La Cucina Caldesi, London
From £75, caldesi.com
Whether you want to perfect your pizza, pasta or polenta, look no further than this Italian cookery school run by the people behind London's Caldesi restaurants.
2. Llanerch Vineyard, Vale of Glamorgan, Wales
From £25, llanerch-vineyard.co.uk
Set up by the chef Angela Gray in 2007, this school has a huge network of local food producers.
3. Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, Oxfordshire
From £335, manoir.com
Raymond Blanc's school is the only one in the world that offers the chance to learn in the kitchens of a two-Michelin-starred restaurant.
4. Padstow Seafood School, Cornwall
From £195, rickstein.com
Preparing fish in the bold style that has made Rick Stein famous in a stunning kitchen overlooking the Camel Estuary is as good as it gets.
5. Leiths School of Food and Wine, London
From £95, leiths.com
Here's one for wannabe chefs. It has seen oodles of students start up their own businesses or work in Michelin-starred restaurants.
6. Swinton Park, Yorkshire
From £95, swintonpark.com
Set in a 17th-century, 30-bedroomed, child-friendly castle hotel with great facilities, this will leave you itching to throw a dinner party to show off your new skills.
7. Bettys Cookery School, Yorkshire
From £175, bettyscookeryschool.co.uk
This fabulous cookery school reflects the tea rooms' expertise in breadmaking and baking.
8. Food Safari, Suffolk
From £75, foodsafari.co.uk
Want to get your hands really dirty? Food Safari offers field-to-fork experiences – gourmet food events that give you a chance to fish, forage, butcher and more.
9. Novelli Academy de Cuisine, Hertfordshire
From £195, jeanchristophenovelli.com
These classes focus on highly transferable cooking skills. There's even a helpline for graduates.
10. Brook Hall Cookery School, Buckinghamshire
From £185, brookhall.net
Fresh crab and saffron tart, andpumpkin ravioli with sage butter are just a few reasons to get your pinny on and learn how to cook.
Life & Style blogs
BBC journalist Justin Webb talks about his experiences of the advances in preventing heart attacks a...
Plus the Property Power 100, and the best day to sell your home
Nobel Peace prize winner Albert Schweitzer once quipped: “Happiness is nothing more than good health...
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
'Xbox Now!': Speculation rife ahead of Microsoft console launch, but what should we expect?
Masculinity in crisis? 'There is a battle going on inside us that is never discussed'
You Fitch! The case against Abercrombie
Privatised service 'puts patients at risk' with lack of out-of-hours GPs
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Gareth Bale agrees new £130,000-a-week Tottenham contract - but can leave next season for £50m
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Food & Drink
£450 - £500 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: BI Developer (SQL Server 2008,...
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...