The 10 best ports
Friday 09 December 2011
1. Cockburn's Special Reserve
The biggest selling port in the UK. Its rich and concentrated aromas of red fruits – predominantly red cherry – is particularly tasty.
2. Fonsecca Terra Prima Organic Reserve
Wow dinner guests with this deliciously textured, velvety smooth and succulent port.
3. Dow's 2007 Vintage
Wine Spectator calls this "the greatest Dow ever made". It has the typical Dow dry spiciness with solid flavours of plums and cassis.
4. Dow's Fine White
White port makes a great pre-dinner drink when served chilled or as a long drink with tonic water and a slice of lemon. This one is gorgeous.
5. Harrods 10 Year Old Tawny
The delicate nutty character and dried fruit notes of this 10-year-old Tawny makes it the perfect complement for any cheese board.
6. Graham's late Bottle Vintage 2006
Packed with aromas of freshly picked blackberries, black cherries and even hints of chocolate.
7. Fortnum's Tawny 10 Years Old
This deliciously nutty and beautifully fresh Tawny can be served chilled as a cool aperitif.
8. Marks & Spencer Late Bottled Vintage
Wines from a single harvest that display the complexity of a vintage port, but can be drunk earlier.
9. Taylor's 1985 Vintage
You would normally pay a heck of a lot more for a port this good. Boasting superb depth and richness, it has a good long finish.
10. Taylor's Vargellas Vintage 2001
Here's another opportunity to get a stylish vintage port at the fraction of the price you would expect.
Life & Style blogs
The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
'It's brusquely intimate': A bereaved daughter tackles the task of emptying her father's flat
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
International Women's Day 2014: Google compiles celebratory video to mark the day
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...