The 10 best ports
Friday 09 December 2011
1. Cockburn's Special Reserve
The biggest selling port in the UK. Its rich and concentrated aromas of red fruits – predominantly red cherry – is particularly tasty.
2. Fonsecca Terra Prima Organic Reserve
Wow dinner guests with this deliciously textured, velvety smooth and succulent port.
3. Dow's 2007 Vintage
Wine Spectator calls this "the greatest Dow ever made". It has the typical Dow dry spiciness with solid flavours of plums and cassis.
4. Dow's Fine White
White port makes a great pre-dinner drink when served chilled or as a long drink with tonic water and a slice of lemon. This one is gorgeous.
5. Harrods 10 Year Old Tawny
The delicate nutty character and dried fruit notes of this 10-year-old Tawny makes it the perfect complement for any cheese board.
6. Graham's late Bottle Vintage 2006
Packed with aromas of freshly picked blackberries, black cherries and even hints of chocolate.
7. Fortnum's Tawny 10 Years Old
This deliciously nutty and beautifully fresh Tawny can be served chilled as a cool aperitif.
8. Marks & Spencer Late Bottled Vintage
Wines from a single harvest that display the complexity of a vintage port, but can be drunk earlier.
9. Taylor's 1985 Vintage
You would normally pay a heck of a lot more for a port this good. Boasting superb depth and richness, it has a good long finish.
10. Taylor's Vargellas Vintage 2001
Here's another opportunity to get a stylish vintage port at the fraction of the price you would expect.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Ebola outbreak: Survivor William Pooley is flown to US to give doctor with virus emergency blood transfusion
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up space on your iPhone or iPad to install update
- 1 Scottish independence results live: Reunited kingdom - Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum
- 2 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 3 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...