The 10 best ports
Friday 09 December 2011
1. Cockburn's Special Reserve
The biggest selling port in the UK. Its rich and concentrated aromas of red fruits – predominantly red cherry – is particularly tasty.
2. Fonsecca Terra Prima Organic Reserve
Wow dinner guests with this deliciously textured, velvety smooth and succulent port.
3. Dow's 2007 Vintage
Wine Spectator calls this "the greatest Dow ever made". It has the typical Dow dry spiciness with solid flavours of plums and cassis.
4. Dow's Fine White
White port makes a great pre-dinner drink when served chilled or as a long drink with tonic water and a slice of lemon. This one is gorgeous.
5. Harrods 10 Year Old Tawny
The delicate nutty character and dried fruit notes of this 10-year-old Tawny makes it the perfect complement for any cheese board.
6. Graham's late Bottle Vintage 2006
Packed with aromas of freshly picked blackberries, black cherries and even hints of chocolate.
7. Fortnum's Tawny 10 Years Old
This deliciously nutty and beautifully fresh Tawny can be served chilled as a cool aperitif.
8. Marks & Spencer Late Bottled Vintage
Wines from a single harvest that display the complexity of a vintage port, but can be drunk earlier.
9. Taylor's 1985 Vintage
You would normally pay a heck of a lot more for a port this good. Boasting superb depth and richness, it has a good long finish.
10. Taylor's Vargellas Vintage 2001
Here's another opportunity to get a stylish vintage port at the fraction of the price you would expect.
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Food & Drink
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...