The 10 Best summer soups
For a simple supper, give salad a swerve and sit down to an even more refreshing meal in a bowl...
1. Duchy Originals Sweet Pea with Mint
A classic summer soup done remarkably well. It's graceful, fresh and as pea-y as you'd expect. Benefits from a dash of pepper.
2. Yorkshire Provender Asparagus
A lovely summer-has-arrived asparagus flavour backed up with hints of peas, spinach and celery.
3. Rod and Ben's Thai Vegetable
A hearty winter vegetable soup, slimmed down and given an Asian makeover. A fine, slightly spiced offering.
4. Yorkshire Provender Beetroot, Parsnip, Horseradish and Ginger
A symphonic combination; full-bodied, almost crunchy.
5. Heston from Waitrose Tomato Gazpacho
Airy and light, slightly on the sweeter side of things, it benefits from a glug of olive oil and pepper, but it's still a good soup.
6. Brindisa Gazpacho
Rich tomatoes, refreshing cucumbers and a zing from the sherry vinegar. It also benefits from having no bread in the mix, so is nice and dainty.
7. New Covent Garden British Parsnip, Apple & Elderflower
Pretty interesting, if a little on the sweet side. Quite floral and the apples give an unusual edge.
8. Tideford Carrot and Coriander
You can serve this warm if the sun has deserted you, but it's best just out of the fridge. Nothing exotic, but good.
9. Glorious Thai Carrot and Lemongrass
Lightly spiced, pleasingly thin, and with a fresh flavour which makes it ideal as a summer lunchtime treat.
10. Daylesford Organic Tomato, Cucumber and Fennel
Cucumber chunks and a wink of fennel, a cracking chilled soup, but you pay for that high quality.
Life & Style blogs
Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
Palcohol: US Government reveals it has approved powdered alcohol
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
How dementia is changing me: My battle with an ever-shifting identity
It’s a pizza! And a cake!! What’s not to like? (The calories)
- 1 ‘Leeds is on fire’: Huge chemical-fuelled blaze on Armley industrial estate leads to hazardous smoke warning for city
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...