The 10 Best summer soups
For a simple supper, give salad a swerve and sit down to an even more refreshing meal in a bowl...
1. Duchy Originals Sweet Pea with Mint
A classic summer soup done remarkably well. It's graceful, fresh and as pea-y as you'd expect. Benefits from a dash of pepper.
2. Yorkshire Provender Asparagus
A lovely summer-has-arrived asparagus flavour backed up with hints of peas, spinach and celery.
3. Rod and Ben's Thai Vegetable
A hearty winter vegetable soup, slimmed down and given an Asian makeover. A fine, slightly spiced offering.
4. Yorkshire Provender Beetroot, Parsnip, Horseradish and Ginger
A symphonic combination; full-bodied, almost crunchy.
5. Heston from Waitrose Tomato Gazpacho
Airy and light, slightly on the sweeter side of things, it benefits from a glug of olive oil and pepper, but it's still a good soup.
6. Brindisa Gazpacho
Rich tomatoes, refreshing cucumbers and a zing from the sherry vinegar. It also benefits from having no bread in the mix, so is nice and dainty.
7. New Covent Garden British Parsnip, Apple & Elderflower
Pretty interesting, if a little on the sweet side. Quite floral and the apples give an unusual edge.
8. Tideford Carrot and Coriander
You can serve this warm if the sun has deserted you, but it's best just out of the fridge. Nothing exotic, but good.
9. Glorious Thai Carrot and Lemongrass
Lightly spiced, pleasingly thin, and with a fresh flavour which makes it ideal as a summer lunchtime treat.
10. Daylesford Organic Tomato, Cucumber and Fennel
Cucumber chunks and a wink of fennel, a cracking chilled soup, but you pay for that high quality.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
filmFilm producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
musicThe 21-year-old beat Ella Eyre and Chlöe Howl to win the honour
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K & Uncapped Commission & Benefits: Flight Cent...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: L...