The 10 Best summer soups
For a simple supper, give salad a swerve and sit down to an even more refreshing meal in a bowl...
Samuel Muston is deputy editor & food editor of The Independent Magazine. He writes a weekly food column – On the Menu – which appears in The Independent on Friday and i on Monday. And also travel and general features. Follow him on Instagram at @smuston
Friday 08 June 2012
1. Duchy Originals Sweet Pea with Mint
A classic summer soup done remarkably well. It's graceful, fresh and as pea-y as you'd expect. Benefits from a dash of pepper.
2. Yorkshire Provender Asparagus
A lovely summer-has-arrived asparagus flavour backed up with hints of peas, spinach and celery.
3. Rod and Ben's Thai Vegetable
A hearty winter vegetable soup, slimmed down and given an Asian makeover. A fine, slightly spiced offering.
4. Yorkshire Provender Beetroot, Parsnip, Horseradish and Ginger
A symphonic combination; full-bodied, almost crunchy.
5. Heston from Waitrose Tomato Gazpacho
Airy and light, slightly on the sweeter side of things, it benefits from a glug of olive oil and pepper, but it's still a good soup.
6. Brindisa Gazpacho
Rich tomatoes, refreshing cucumbers and a zing from the sherry vinegar. It also benefits from having no bread in the mix, so is nice and dainty.
7. New Covent Garden British Parsnip, Apple & Elderflower
Pretty interesting, if a little on the sweet side. Quite floral and the apples give an unusual edge.
8. Tideford Carrot and Coriander
You can serve this warm if the sun has deserted you, but it's best just out of the fridge. Nothing exotic, but good.
9. Glorious Thai Carrot and Lemongrass
Lightly spiced, pleasingly thin, and with a fresh flavour which makes it ideal as a summer lunchtime treat.
10. Daylesford Organic Tomato, Cucumber and Fennel
Cucumber chunks and a wink of fennel, a cracking chilled soup, but you pay for that high quality.
Life & Style blogs
Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
Free porn websites could be shut down within months, says David Cameron
National Orgasm Day: Six reasons (plus one bogus one) why they're good for us
The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
- 2 The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 3 John Green schools morning show hosts after awkward interview with Cara Delevingne
- 4 Bulletproof armadillo puts Texas man in hospital after shot bounces off hard shell
- 5 Doctors declare war on Jeremy Hunt over weekend working 'myths' amid plan for seven day NHS
iJobs Food & Drink
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Product Manager / Product Owner is required to jo...
£25k plus Benefits: Guru Careers: A Carpenter and Maintenance Operator is need...