The 10 Best summer soups
For a simple supper, give salad a swerve and sit down to an even more refreshing meal in a bowl...
1. Duchy Originals Sweet Pea with Mint
A classic summer soup done remarkably well. It's graceful, fresh and as pea-y as you'd expect. Benefits from a dash of pepper.
2. Yorkshire Provender Asparagus
A lovely summer-has-arrived asparagus flavour backed up with hints of peas, spinach and celery.
3. Rod and Ben's Thai Vegetable
A hearty winter vegetable soup, slimmed down and given an Asian makeover. A fine, slightly spiced offering.
4. Yorkshire Provender Beetroot, Parsnip, Horseradish and Ginger
A symphonic combination; full-bodied, almost crunchy.
5. Heston from Waitrose Tomato Gazpacho
Airy and light, slightly on the sweeter side of things, it benefits from a glug of olive oil and pepper, but it's still a good soup.
6. Brindisa Gazpacho
Rich tomatoes, refreshing cucumbers and a zing from the sherry vinegar. It also benefits from having no bread in the mix, so is nice and dainty.
7. New Covent Garden British Parsnip, Apple & Elderflower
Pretty interesting, if a little on the sweet side. Quite floral and the apples give an unusual edge.
8. Tideford Carrot and Coriander
You can serve this warm if the sun has deserted you, but it's best just out of the fridge. Nothing exotic, but good.
9. Glorious Thai Carrot and Lemongrass
Lightly spiced, pleasingly thin, and with a fresh flavour which makes it ideal as a summer lunchtime treat.
10. Daylesford Organic Tomato, Cucumber and Fennel
Cucumber chunks and a wink of fennel, a cracking chilled soup, but you pay for that high quality.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best new smartphones
Once more with sharing: Microsoft reverses controversial Xbox One pre-owned game and connection policies
End the scepticism! Environment Secretary Owen Paterson urges UK to adopt use of GM crop technology
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
Study claims ‘inner peace’ can help pupils to cope with exams
- 1 ‘Hello, NME? I’d like to complain about your Tom Odell review. Why? I’m his dad’
- 2 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 3 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 4 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
- 5 From charmer to bully: My encounter with Charles Saatchi
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...