Trending: Oi Marco! A rarebit of advice for you
Wednesday 20 June 2012
"I've never had an enjoyable meal in Wales," Knorr spokesman Marco Pierre White told MSN yesterday. Well, say the Welsh, "paid a malu cachu, Marco!". We asked The Independent's food experts to suggest just a handful of Wales's many excellent dining rooms:
1. The Potted Pig
A new addition to the Welsh capital: critic Jay Rayner called the swine-focused Cardiff kitchen a "gift to the city".
2. The Star at Whitebrook
Matthew Norman called the Star's chef James Sommerin "one of those rare and sainted cooks whose talent and technical mastery is matched by his perfectionist desire to please the punters".
3. The Hardwick
Stephen Terry's snug converted pub feasts off the mine of great local Monmouthshire produce.
4. Mind and Mustard
An unlikely looking, but brilliant Cardiff Keralan from Pramod Nair – recently named one of UK's top 100 restaurants.
5. The Checkers
Stéphane Borie's kitchen earned a Michelin star this year. The Powys pub was described by the guide as "the new star of Wales".
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
Not brushing your teeth can lead to dementia and heart disease
Insomnia could be cured with one simple therapy session, new study claims
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Spanish restaurant El Celler de Can Roca reclaims top spot to be named world's best restaurant
- 1 Amber Peat: Body found in search for missing 13-year-old who ran away after argument with her parents
- 2 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
- 4 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 5 Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...