Trending: Oi Marco! A rarebit of advice for you
Wednesday 20 June 2012
"I've never had an enjoyable meal in Wales," Knorr spokesman Marco Pierre White told MSN yesterday. Well, say the Welsh, "paid a malu cachu, Marco!". We asked The Independent's food experts to suggest just a handful of Wales's many excellent dining rooms:
1. The Potted Pig
A new addition to the Welsh capital: critic Jay Rayner called the swine-focused Cardiff kitchen a "gift to the city".
2. The Star at Whitebrook
Matthew Norman called the Star's chef James Sommerin "one of those rare and sainted cooks whose talent and technical mastery is matched by his perfectionist desire to please the punters".
3. The Hardwick
Stephen Terry's snug converted pub feasts off the mine of great local Monmouthshire produce.
4. Mind and Mustard
An unlikely looking, but brilliant Cardiff Keralan from Pramod Nair – recently named one of UK's top 100 restaurants.
5. The Checkers
Stéphane Borie's kitchen earned a Michelin star this year. The Powys pub was described by the guide as "the new star of Wales".
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...