Trending: Oi Marco! A rarebit of advice for you
Wednesday 20 June 2012
"I've never had an enjoyable meal in Wales," Knorr spokesman Marco Pierre White told MSN yesterday. Well, say the Welsh, "paid a malu cachu, Marco!". We asked The Independent's food experts to suggest just a handful of Wales's many excellent dining rooms:
1. The Potted Pig
A new addition to the Welsh capital: critic Jay Rayner called the swine-focused Cardiff kitchen a "gift to the city".
2. The Star at Whitebrook
Matthew Norman called the Star's chef James Sommerin "one of those rare and sainted cooks whose talent and technical mastery is matched by his perfectionist desire to please the punters".
3. The Hardwick
Stephen Terry's snug converted pub feasts off the mine of great local Monmouthshire produce.
4. Mind and Mustard
An unlikely looking, but brilliant Cardiff Keralan from Pramod Nair – recently named one of UK's top 100 restaurants.
5. The Checkers
Stéphane Borie's kitchen earned a Michelin star this year. The Powys pub was described by the guide as "the new star of Wales".
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 3 Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
iJobs Food & Drink
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Plumber / Mainten...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...