US cinnamon addiction claims a new victim
Pringles has released a triumvirate of festive flavours in the US. This Christmas there will be pumpkin pie, white chocolate and peppermint – and sugar and sodding cinnamon.
Just what is it with our American cousins and cinnamon? You can't walk into a Starbucks over there without being assailed by it like a cloud of midges, or open a box of cereal without finding it spiked with "America's favourite spice". People even suggest putting it in your air conditioner to make your home smell "more homely" if you are trying to sell it, which strikes me as merely a quick way to make it like a Viennese bakery.
Of course the once noble spice, which was eulogised in the Song of Solomon, and noted by Pliny the Elder as having a worth 15-times that of silver, does have a place: a cinnamon and apple crumble. A hard-to-reach low-end crisp, however? Not so much.
Life & Style blogs
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
Doctors tell Treasury of their anger at rejection of pay reviews
Jeremy Hunt to reform hospital parking rules
Victoria’s Secret says tickets for the London fashion show are not for 'sale' - but seats are still available for £10k
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 West poised to join forces with President Assad in face of Islamic State
- 3 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...