US cinnamon addiction claims a new victim
Pringles has released a triumvirate of festive flavours in the US. This Christmas there will be pumpkin pie, white chocolate and peppermint – and sugar and sodding cinnamon.
Just what is it with our American cousins and cinnamon? You can't walk into a Starbucks over there without being assailed by it like a cloud of midges, or open a box of cereal without finding it spiked with "America's favourite spice". People even suggest putting it in your air conditioner to make your home smell "more homely" if you are trying to sell it, which strikes me as merely a quick way to make it like a Viennese bakery.
Of course the once noble spice, which was eulogised in the Song of Solomon, and noted by Pliny the Elder as having a worth 15-times that of silver, does have a place: a cinnamon and apple crumble. A hard-to-reach low-end crisp, however? Not so much.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...