Why I Love: A steak to the heart
Liam Cunningham, actor
Sunday 28 June 2009
I don't know how Michelin-starred chefs produce outstanding plates of food so readily, because when I cook, I find it difficult – it took me five years to learn how to cook a steak properly. For me it's about finding a good piece of meat, knowing what pan to use, what temperature to have the pan at, and when to take the steak out.
Most people go for fillet because it's the most expensive cut of meat, but it ain't necessarily the best. I'll go once a week to my local farmers' market in Dublin and look for the finest marbled piece of meat – so you get the melting of the fat into the meat that gives it its delicious flavour.
And, of course, you've got to have it medium-rare. When I hear people saying they want a well-done steak I think, Jesus, why bother? It kills the flavour. To finish: I throw on some cracked pepper and Stilton. Magnificent.
'Blood: The Last Vampire' is in cinemas now.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...