Wine: Something for the weekend
Saturday 12 November 2011
2010 Mauregard, Bordeaux
Château Lafite it may not be, but this gluggy claret is as good as it gets at under £6; a modern style with the ripe blackcurrant fruit, spicy veneer and zesty freshness of the excellent 2010 vintage. £5.99, Marks & Spencer
2008 Plantagenet Samson's Range Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon, Western Australia
This traditional Aussie blend of shiraz and cabernet sauvignon is full of blackberryish sweet fruitiness tinged with spice and dark chocolate. £6.99, down from £8.99, Waitrose
2009 Delas Saint-Joseph, Les Challeys
A pure, peppery northern Rhône syrah whose spicy and vibrant red-berry fruitiness may still be in its first flush of youth, but the elegant St Joseph freshness makes it game, set and match red right now. Sainsbury's, £14.99
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.