Wine: What to drink with pizza
Sunday 29 January 2012
Ripasso Valpolicello Classico 2009
Whatever your topping choice, pizza is straightforward robust fare requiring similar wines: anything refined or expensive is wasted. This is perfect, ripe and fruity, given depth by adding dried grapes and a little oak ageing.
£8.99 Marks and Spencer
La Vieille Ferme Cotes Du Ventoux 2010
Not all pizza wines have to be Italian - a medium-bodied, southern French blend, bursting with warmth and spice, works well. Great value from the renowned Perrins family.
£7.49 Waitrose £6.39 Majestic (for two, if you buy six bottles; otherwise £7.99)
The Society's Australian Shiraz-Cabernet
Terrific bargains are to be found in The Wine Society's introductory range, such as this fulsome red with enough body to match all tomato-based Mediterranean foods as well as grilled meats.
£7.50 The Wine Society
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...