Wine: What to drink with pizza
Sunday 29 January 2012
Ripasso Valpolicello Classico 2009
Whatever your topping choice, pizza is straightforward robust fare requiring similar wines: anything refined or expensive is wasted. This is perfect, ripe and fruity, given depth by adding dried grapes and a little oak ageing.
£8.99 Marks and Spencer
La Vieille Ferme Cotes Du Ventoux 2010
Not all pizza wines have to be Italian - a medium-bodied, southern French blend, bursting with warmth and spice, works well. Great value from the renowned Perrins family.
£7.49 Waitrose £6.39 Majestic (for two, if you buy six bottles; otherwise £7.99)
The Society's Australian Shiraz-Cabernet
Terrific bargains are to be found in The Wine Society's introductory range, such as this fulsome red with enough body to match all tomato-based Mediterranean foods as well as grilled meats.
£7.50 The Wine Society
Life & Style blogs
How psychopaths hide in plain sight – a psychological analysis of serial killer Dennis Rader
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
How I rescued my brain: Psychologist David Roland rewired his thoughts following a stroke
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...