Wines of the week: Altitude By Duorum 2011; Domaine Astruc Pinot Noir Reserve 2012; Peter Yealands Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2013
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 16 February 2014
Altitude By Duorum 2011
A big, modern Portuguese red, made from the traditional port grape mix of Touriga Franca and others, well balanced between expressive red and black fruits, hints of cassis and a firm structure, ending in a long finish. A braised rabbit or a chicken-and-chorizo casserole would be ideal. £12.99, laithwaites.co.uk
Domaine Astruc Pinot Noir Reserve 2012
Not all French Pinot Noir is Burgundian and not all Languedoc reds are boisterously spicy blends. The result of Domaine Astruc's cooler microclimate, this has Pinot's intrinsic silky elegance but also a distinctly Mediterranean richness and depth. Lovely with any tomato-based pasta or a mushroom risotto. £8.80, addisonwines.com
Peter Yealands Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2013
Top-quality new wine from a highly respected producer, made in a terrific year from different parcels of grapes in the Awatare Valley. The result is classic Sauvignon Blanc: bone-dry, crisply refreshing but topped with flavours of guava, grapefruit and hints of green herbs. £7.49 (until 4 March; normally £9.99), Sainsbury's
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...