Wines of the week: Bertani Sereole Soave 2010; Open now, Domaine Hegarty Chamans 2008; Marques de Alarcon Rosado 2010
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 10 July 2011
Bertani Sereole Soave 2010
From venerable producer Bertani, this is made using Garganega grapes grown on the eastern side of the Veneto and is reputedly the wine served at the Coronation dinner of King George VI. Full-bodied, complex, packed with flavours of melons and peaches and with a slight almond twist to the finish, it works best with white fish or dishes such as roast pork with rosemary and garlic.
£9.65, greatwesternwine.co.uk; £10.50, carluccios.com; £10.95, slurp.co.uk
Open now, Domaine Hegarty Chamans 2008
Made by award-winning wine-maker Samuel Berger on an organic vineyard owned by British advertising mogul John Hegarty near Carcassonne, this Syrah-Mouvèdre blend is full of bold, dark fruit, but also rich, spicy and savoury – everything a good Minervois should be. Ideal with anything meaty and grilled on the barbecue. £7.99, adnams.co.uk
Marques de Alarcon Rosado 2010
Demonstrating the versatility of the Tempranillo grape, which also makes aged Riojas, here is a no-frills, user-friendly rosé with a lovely old-fashioned label but a modest price tag. Fresh fruit aromas and a clean cherry and strawberry flavour make a balanced, lightly refreshing mouthful and a perfect summer partner for tapas-style dishes. £6.99, Marks & Spencer
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Support Technician - Y...