Wines of the Week: Brouilly Les Eronnes, Romain Jambon 2010; Weingut Summerer Gruner Veltliner 2011; Tagus Creek Shiraz Tricandeira 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 21 April 2013
Brouilly Les Eronnes, Romain Jambon 2010
Made from Gamay grapes from the wonderful Beaujolais-Villages, this is actually closer to a Burgundian style. Smoothly elusive, elegant, structured, medium-bodied, it is packed with cherry fruits, has a slight touch of spice and is fresh on the palate. A lovely wine to serve on a day with a hint of spring in the air when there is a herby roast chicken on the table. £13.55, sipplondon.com
Weingut Summerer Gruner Veltliner 2011
The promise of spring lingers in every complex mouthful of this enticingly zesty and full-bodied white, made with Austria's most famous grape. There is some fruit here, but the dominant flavours are smoky and spicy, with notes of cedar and vanilla, despite the absence of oak. Try this with chilli-based Thai or Vietnamese foods, particularly shellfish. £9.99, Marks & Spencer
Tagus Creek Shiraz Tricandeira 2011
Unless the long-range weather forecast changes substantially, we are still a long way from the kind of barbecue weather this wine is made for – but it's a good idea to stock up now at this bargain price. Medium- to full-bodied, with ripe tastes of blackcurrants and plums; although this is perfectly good drinking without food, it is most at home with a grilled lamb skewer or some sausages with mustard mash. £4.50, Asda (until 5 June, normally £5.99)
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...