Wines of the Week: Castell el Masroig Castell De Pinyeres 2008; Fairhills Cabernet Sauvignon Petit Verdot 2011; Peacock Tail Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 24 February 2013
Castell el Masroig Castell De Pinyeres 2008
From up-and-coming Montsant, bordering Priorat, home to some of the most exciting wines in Spain, comes this award-winning blend of Grenache, Carignan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tempranillo. As richly textured and satisfying as might be imagined from the number of grapes involved, it is lively on the palate but silkily balanced and evolved, demanding robust meat dishes, such as slow braised pork cheeks, or blue cheeses. £12.50, slurp.co.uk; £12.75, jeroboams.co.uk
Fairhills Cabernet Sauvignon Petit Verdot 2011
Fairtrade Fortnight begins tomorrow, so it is a good time to explore some of the increasingly improving wines from approved New World producers such as South Africa's Fairhills. The Petit Verdot grapes add fruit and vibrancy to the darker, more tannic Cab-Sauv, combining to deliver a punchy, very moreish wine that is the perfect partner to baked gnocchi or pasta with meatballs in tomato sauce. £7.99, Tesco
Peacock Tail Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Another Fairtrade bottle from South Africa, this fabulously zesty, palate-tingling affair from the Stellenbosch area is a considerable bargain in its own right, such is the class on display and evidence of M&S's renowned quality control. Thrillingly intense and pure gooseberry and grapefruit flavours made for standing up to chilli- and lime-spiked Asian dishes. £7.49, Marks & Spencer
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...