Wines of the week: Cedro Do Noval 2009; Tercius Alvarinho 2012; Ramos Reserva 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 01 December 2013
The festive season sees many of us indulge in the annual treat of a bottle of port – but there are also some terrific table wines to be discovered in Portugal…
Cedro Do Noval 2009
A red of depth and richness from one of the oldest port houses, many now producing table wines using a traditional mix of port grapes such as Touriga Nacional, while some Syrah adds velvety spice. Good for roast game, red meats and robust casseroles. The 2007 is even more developed. £14.99, ocado.com (2009); £18.35, bbr.com (2007)
Tercius Alvarinho 2012
From the Vinho Verde, made with local Alvarinho grapes but closer in style to Galician whites to the north – where it is called Albarino. No characteristic pétillance, but a fuller-bodied, concentrated white, with intense fruit flavours, lovely acidity and just a tinge of smokiness. Eat with seafood or possibly pan-fried pork escalopes. £10.99, Marks & Spencer
Ramos Reserva 2012
From the up-and-coming Alentejo region, this is a robust, spicy, all-purpose, very food-friendly red, perfect for stocking up for Christmas to accompany all types of meals. £7.49 (each, for two as part of a purchase of six mixed bottles) until 3 February (normally £8.49), majestic.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...