Wines of the Week: Cuvee Balthazar Syrah 2010 Pays D'oc IGP; Dominio del Plata Torrontes 2012; Volpetto Sangiovese Toscana 2010
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 07 April 2013
Cuvee Balthazar Syrah 2010 Pays D'oc IGP
This Syrah from the Languedoc – robust and brambly, packed with smooth flavours of violets, liquorice and with a good dose of spice – is perfect to ward off those winter chills, which, at time of writing, seem likely to continue forever. It's also a great partner for a roast leg of lamb, studded with anchovies, rosemary and garlic or a Majorcan tumbet vegetable casserole. £10.99, Waitrose
Dominio del Plata Torrontes 2012
Here is hoping that spring might finally arrive at some point soon, when we can enjoy lighter, aromatic wines such as this enticing mouthful from Argentina's native grape. Lovely jasmine and honeysuckle aromas give way to zesty, refreshing flavours of pears and peaches, with a nice citric underpinning. Excellent with lightly spiced Thai prawns, goat's cheeses or any simple white fish. £8.99, Marks & Spencer
Volpetto Sangiovese Toscana 2010
A highly drinkable, supple, appealing, medium-bodied Tuscan red that is a Chianti in all but name. Lots of strong, lean, cherry fruit flavours at first, with a more complex structure of woody tobacco and leathery touches emerging. Great with all kinds of pasta with meat sauces, pizzas and light meats. Ocado was selling this half price, but this wine is currently £9.59 there, so this is a great price. £6.56, cambridgewine.com
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...