Wines of the Week: Gigondas 2009; Pouilly-Fumé 2009; Gran Tesoro Garnacha 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy...
Sunday 22 July 2012
The first of three bottles from Tesco, which dominated the Best Value awards in the recent International Wine Challenge (IWC), this powerful, peppery wine from its Finest range won the Red-Under-£15 prize. Absolutely true to the style of one of the most famous appellations of the southern Rhône; savour the rich, black fruit and wild-herb flavours and the long finish with slow-cooked lamb or strong, hard cheeses. £13.49, Tesco
Another great French name given the Finest treatment and winner of the Great-Value-White-Under-£12, this Loire wine is as typical an example of European Sauvignon Blanc as can be – a lovely summer bottle, excellent with prime flat white fish. Modern wine-making techniques, with stainless steel vats and no sign of oak, result in a pure, clean taste of gooseberries, grass and lemon zest and a finish that is perfectly crisp and dry. £9.99, Tesco
Gran Tesoro Garnacha 2011
Going under a fiver for a supermarket wine can be a risky business, but this is a fantastic bargain from Spain unearthed by the Tesco buyers and winner of the Great-Value-Red-Under-£7 at the IWC. While it is just the right price for parties or barbecues, its cherry-ish aromas, lightly spicy flavours and supple, medium-bodied, easily drinkable style make it a great wine for all types of Mediterranean foods. £4.29, Tesco
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...