Wines of the week: Greywacke Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2012; Mas de Victor Graciano 2011; Manzanilla sherry
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 05 May 2013
Greywacke Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Bank Holiday weekend is the time to enjoy the first English asparagus of the year and with it one of the greatest Sauvignon Blancs, made by Kevin Judd, the New Zealander behind Cloudy Bay. Not cheap, but worth every penny for a special occasion, full-on flavours of melons, pink grapefruit, papaya and green peppers, with a spine of brisk acidity and a long, clean finish.
Mas de Victor Graciano 2011
If there is any chance of outdoor eating this weekend, here is a great choice for some simply grilled herby lamb or spicy chicken. This easily drinkable, medium-bodied wine has some lusciously juicy dark, sweet fruits, bitter chocolate touches and a savoury oaky underpinning. £8.99, Sainsbury's
Bone-dry, sharp, salty, tangy and amazingly palate-cleansing, this is almost the perfect warmer-weather aperitif to accompany some salted almonds and olives, but also worth trying with tapas and smoked fish dishes. £6.99, Marks & Spencer
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced Hotel Receptionists...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...