Wines of the week: Ixsir Grande Reserve White 2011; Tanners Douro Red; Albarino Rias Baixas 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 04 August 2013
Ixsir Grande Reserve White 2011
Surprise your guests with this fabulous, complex white from Lebanon's Bekaa Valley, better known for its reds. Beautifully balanced between the smooth, aromatic, voluptuous flavours from Chardonnay and Viognier and Sauvignon Blanc's crisp citric freshness. Serve with roasted flatfish such as turbot or brill. £18.40, exelwines.co.uk; £19.99, morrisonscellar.com (minimum order of six bottles)
Tanners Douro Red
An own-label, excellent-value Portuguese red from one of the longest-established regional wine merchants. Made from mostly port grapes such as Touriga Nacional, this is really juicy and brambly, with hints of herbs and spices, extremely easy to drink and ideal for pasta or barbecue-grilled meats. £7.95, tanners-wines.co.uk
Albarino Rias Baixas 2011
Aldi's Exquisite Collection is a fine source of real bargains such as this white from Galicia in north-western Spain. Bright, light and fresh, bone-dry and full of green-fruit flavours. Drink as an aperitif, with grilled goat's cheese or with salads. £5.99, Aldi
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Doctors in the dock: Scandal of GPs who get cash from healthcare firms for patient referrals
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...