Wines of the week: Kumeu River Pinot Gris 2011; Villa Blanche Pinot Noir 2013; Tagus Creek Shiraz Touriga Nacional Rose 2011
Terry Kirby on the best bottles to buy this week
Sunday 20 July 2014
Kumeu River Pinot Gris 2011
Utterly different from its mostly rather lightweight and insipid Italian version, Pinot Grigio, this rendering of the Kiwi clone is sumptuously aromatic, blessed with smoky, almost spicy flavours and plenty of tropical fruits. Rich, complex and luscious, it is a great white for a roast pork or a prime fish for a summer lunch in the garden. £12.95, thewinesociety.com; £14.20, tanners-wines.co.uk
Villa Blanche Pinot Noir 2013
Amid all the chilled wines of high summer, sometimes one craves a slightly more full-bodied red, but one that does not seem overbearing when it's a warm day. Step forward this balanced Pinot from the Languedoc – medium-bodied, flavours of cherries dipped in chocolate and a bit of tannic backbone. Barbecued lamb and anything with Middle Eastern spicing would be ideal. £8.99, Waitrose
Tagus Creek Shiraz Touriga Nacional Rose 2011
Sometimes we seek a rosé that isn't all Provençal bone-dry and ethereally bodied style but a wine that is a little fuller and rounded, perhaps for more substantial food. Still very dry, but lots of juicy strawberries and raspberries here and unmissable for parties at the offer price. £4.50 ( normally £6.25), Asda
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...