Wines of the week: Kumeu River Pinot Gris 2011; Villa Blanche Pinot Noir 2013; Tagus Creek Shiraz Touriga Nacional Rose 2011
Terry Kirby on the best bottles to buy this week
Sunday 20 July 2014
Kumeu River Pinot Gris 2011
Utterly different from its mostly rather lightweight and insipid Italian version, Pinot Grigio, this rendering of the Kiwi clone is sumptuously aromatic, blessed with smoky, almost spicy flavours and plenty of tropical fruits. Rich, complex and luscious, it is a great white for a roast pork or a prime fish for a summer lunch in the garden. £12.95, thewinesociety.com; £14.20, tanners-wines.co.uk
Villa Blanche Pinot Noir 2013
Amid all the chilled wines of high summer, sometimes one craves a slightly more full-bodied red, but one that does not seem overbearing when it's a warm day. Step forward this balanced Pinot from the Languedoc – medium-bodied, flavours of cherries dipped in chocolate and a bit of tannic backbone. Barbecued lamb and anything with Middle Eastern spicing would be ideal. £8.99, Waitrose
Tagus Creek Shiraz Touriga Nacional Rose 2011
Sometimes we seek a rosé that isn't all Provençal bone-dry and ethereally bodied style but a wine that is a little fuller and rounded, perhaps for more substantial food. Still very dry, but lots of juicy strawberries and raspberries here and unmissable for parties at the offer price. £4.50 ( normally £6.25), Asda
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...