Wines of the week: L'Empreinte de Saint Mont 2011; McGuigan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2011; Yali Reserva Gewürztraminer 2013
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 03 November 2013
L'Empreinte de Saint Mont 2011
A superb example of the diversity of French regional wines in a refined blend of the indigenous Gros Manseng, Petit Manseng and Petit Courbu grapes from Gascony. Citric flavours of grapefruit and lemon pith mingle with green vegetal notes to make it ideal with oysters, mussels or crustacea. £13.29, cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk
McGuigan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
A big brand name doesn't always make for an indifferent wine – this is simply a really good, lip-smacking Cabernet Sauvignon from an award-winning, reliable producer and fine for a casserole or some roasted-chicken thighs. Restrained and subtle oak, flavours of blackcurrants and vanilla and a very satisfying, lengthy finish. £9.99, Tesco
Yali Reserva Gewürztraminer 2013
If you're after something different in a white, try this Chilean take on a European staple. Intensely floral on the nose, there are flavours of lychees and other tropical fruits, cut through with enough fresh acidity. Drink as an aperitif or with mildly spiced Asian cuisine. £6.99 (each, for two bottles as part of a purchase of six mixed bottles; normally £8.74), majestic.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...