Wines of the week: L'Empreinte de Saint Mont 2011; McGuigan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2011; Yali Reserva Gewürztraminer 2013
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 03 November 2013
L'Empreinte de Saint Mont 2011
A superb example of the diversity of French regional wines in a refined blend of the indigenous Gros Manseng, Petit Manseng and Petit Courbu grapes from Gascony. Citric flavours of grapefruit and lemon pith mingle with green vegetal notes to make it ideal with oysters, mussels or crustacea. £13.29, cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk
McGuigan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
A big brand name doesn't always make for an indifferent wine – this is simply a really good, lip-smacking Cabernet Sauvignon from an award-winning, reliable producer and fine for a casserole or some roasted-chicken thighs. Restrained and subtle oak, flavours of blackcurrants and vanilla and a very satisfying, lengthy finish. £9.99, Tesco
Yali Reserva Gewürztraminer 2013
If you're after something different in a white, try this Chilean take on a European staple. Intensely floral on the nose, there are flavours of lychees and other tropical fruits, cut through with enough fresh acidity. Drink as an aperitif or with mildly spiced Asian cuisine. £6.99 (each, for two bottles as part of a purchase of six mixed bottles; normally £8.74), majestic.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...