Wines of the week: Little Beauty Riesling 2010; Val de Pedron Monastrell Alicante 2010; Sud de France Grenache Syrah Mourvèdre
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 13 October 2013
Little Beauty Riesling 2010
A recent Decanter World Wine Awards winner and yet another classy product of New Zealand's Marlborough region. Bone-dry, exquisitely refined, clean, mineral, lemon and lime flavours on the palate, with a slight sherbet undertow. Drink with seafood. £15.80, aduv.co.uk
Val de Pedron Monastrell Alicante 2010
The heat of the Spanish summer runs through this rich red from Monastrell grapes grown near the coast at Alicante, to warm chilly autumn days. Dark flavours of damsons and blackberries, a touch of figs and chocolate and some spice from oak ageing. Good with any robust casseroles. £7.99, Marks & Spencer
Sud de France Grenache Syrah Mourvèdre
A stunning bargain from the Jean-Claude Mas stable whose similar, but more imaginatively labelled, cheaper range at Majestic featured in this column a couple of weeks ago. This is a very typical, highly drinkable, well-made southern French red blend at a price that can hardly be beaten for quality. £5.99, Aldi
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
The truth behind who really buys sex dolls, from the man who makes the most realistic ones you can buy
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...