Wines of the week: Masi Masianco 2012; Allegrini Valpolicella 2013; Zalze Sangiovese 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 18 May 2014
Masi Masianco 2012
The sometimes lightweight Italian staple Pinot Grigio is given a turbo-charged boost from semi-dried Verduzzo grapes to create a full-bodied wine of substance and power. Lingering flavours of apricots, peaches and a hint of honey, but with a long dry finish. Drink with antipasti or almost any chicken or pork dishes. £10.92, thedrinkshop.com; £11.99, farehamwinecellar.co.uk
Allegrini Valpolicella 2013
Another modern Italian wine, but rooted in the traditions of a family business dating from the 16th century. From Corvina grapes grown near Lake Como, this is medium-bodied, fresh and fragrant, with aromas of cherries and tastes of raspberries. Just the ticket for a bowl of pasta in the garden of a warm evening. £9.95, thewinesociety.com
Zalze Sangiovese 2012
Another Italian stalwart, this time given the South African treatment from the reliable Zalze outfit. Nicely balanced between some fresh red-fruit flavour, structured tannins and a little bit of slice, this a great everyday wine for the upcoming barbecue season. £6.59, Co-op stores
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...