Wines of the week: Modestly priced bottles for everyday summer drinking
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 13 July 2014
Three modestly priced bottles for everyday summer drinking; their screw tops make them ideal for barbecues, picnics or just sitting in the garden on a warm evening.
Sangiovese di Puglia, Vetriano IGT, 2012
Puglia in southern Italy is a great source of excellent reds, although this is lighter than most. Bright, medium-bodied and packed with lip-smacking juicy cherry flavours, this can take a little chilling on a warm day. Drink with mezze or pasta all'arrabbiata. £6.50, hhandc.co.uk
Crow's Fountain Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch 2013
South Africa's signature white grape really needs food to bring out its ripe, zesty green-apple and citrus flavours, here given a little oak for complexity. Anything with strong garlicky flavours, such as aioli with barbecued fish or a mature goat's cheese, would be a great match. £7.99, Marks and Spencer
La Vie en Rose 2013
A Cinsault/Grenache blend from the Languedoc, this has crisp, summer-berry flavours and a touch of green herbs. A gorgeous retro label oozes French style and simply demands a spread of charcuterie, pâtés, tomato salad and good bread. £8.99, oldschoolwines.co.uk; £9.89, selfridges.com
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...