Wines of the week: Modestly priced bottles for everyday summer drinking
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 13 July 2014
Three modestly priced bottles for everyday summer drinking; their screw tops make them ideal for barbecues, picnics or just sitting in the garden on a warm evening.
Sangiovese di Puglia, Vetriano IGT, 2012
Puglia in southern Italy is a great source of excellent reds, although this is lighter than most. Bright, medium-bodied and packed with lip-smacking juicy cherry flavours, this can take a little chilling on a warm day. Drink with mezze or pasta all'arrabbiata. £6.50, hhandc.co.uk
Crow's Fountain Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch 2013
South Africa's signature white grape really needs food to bring out its ripe, zesty green-apple and citrus flavours, here given a little oak for complexity. Anything with strong garlicky flavours, such as aioli with barbecued fish or a mature goat's cheese, would be a great match. £7.99, Marks and Spencer
La Vie en Rose 2013
A Cinsault/Grenache blend from the Languedoc, this has crisp, summer-berry flavours and a touch of green herbs. A gorgeous retro label oozes French style and simply demands a spread of charcuterie, pâtés, tomato salad and good bread. £8.99, oldschoolwines.co.uk; £9.89, selfridges.com
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...