Wines of the week: Moulin á Vent 2010; Mas La Chevalière Viognier de La Chevalière 2011; Casa Silva Colchagua Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenère 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 02 June 2013
Moulin á Vent 2010
Gorgeous, medium-bodied, early-summer red from one of the 10 Beaujolais villages, this Moulin à Vent is wonderfully elegant, with masses of the cherry and red-berry fruits characteristic of Gamay, but given a spicy, earthy touch from some oak ageing. Perfect on the lunch table, hopefully in the garden, with roast chicken or pork. £12.99, Marks & Spencer
Mas La Chevalière Viognier de La Chevalière 2011
Complex aromas of spring blossoms and smoke give way to stunningly fresh flavours of peach and apricots in this vibrant Viognier, made using grapes sourced from the Languedoc. Pair with scallops or any white fish in a lemony or herby sauce. £8.49, winedirect.co.uk; £8.99, aitkenwines.com (minimum order of six bottles for both)
Casa Silva Colchagua Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenère 2011
Fabulously smooth barbecue-friendly red from Chile, where bright fruit flavours of Carmenère combine brilliantly with the depth and structure of Cabernet Sauvignon. The 2012 is widely available, but this is both a couple of pounds cheaper and better from more time in the bottle. £6.99, averys.com
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...