Wines of the week: Old Bush Vine Grenache Yalumba 2012; Red and Black Agiorgitiko Nemea 2012; Saint-Roch Côtes Du Roussillon 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 19 January 2014
Old Bush Vine Grenache Yalumba 2012
Still surviving Dry January? Treat yourself to these high-street gems for 1 February as a reward. First, from aged Barossa Valley vines, there is a lovely balance here between a meaty, intense structure and juicy, spicy red-fruit flavours coupled with a nice long finish. For steak or a beef casserole. £10.99 (each for two bottles as part of purchase of six mixed bottles; normally £13.74), majestic.co.uk
Red and Black Agiorgitiko Nemea 2012
A brilliant modern Greek red, showcasing the huge potential of the country for making great wine. Vibrant and fruit-driven, but with serious layers of flavour and intriguing soft smokiness. Make a proper moussaka – Greek comfort food – to go with it. £8.99, Marks &Spencer
Saint-Roch Côtes Du Roussillon 2012
More Grenache here, in its home in the sunny south of France and paired with Syrah to create a very approachable, very traditional blend from the region: medium-bodied, dark fruits, some touches of spice and herbs. A more or less perfect everyday wine. £6.99, Morrisons
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...