Wines of the week: Old Bush Vine Grenache Yalumba 2012; Red and Black Agiorgitiko Nemea 2012; Saint-Roch Côtes Du Roussillon 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 19 January 2014
Old Bush Vine Grenache Yalumba 2012
Still surviving Dry January? Treat yourself to these high-street gems for 1 February as a reward. First, from aged Barossa Valley vines, there is a lovely balance here between a meaty, intense structure and juicy, spicy red-fruit flavours coupled with a nice long finish. For steak or a beef casserole. £10.99 (each for two bottles as part of purchase of six mixed bottles; normally £13.74), majestic.co.uk
Red and Black Agiorgitiko Nemea 2012
A brilliant modern Greek red, showcasing the huge potential of the country for making great wine. Vibrant and fruit-driven, but with serious layers of flavour and intriguing soft smokiness. Make a proper moussaka – Greek comfort food – to go with it. £8.99, Marks &Spencer
Saint-Roch Côtes Du Roussillon 2012
More Grenache here, in its home in the sunny south of France and paired with Syrah to create a very approachable, very traditional blend from the region: medium-bodied, dark fruits, some touches of spice and herbs. A more or less perfect everyday wine. £6.99, Morrisons
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Windows 10: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' to unveil latest operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...