Wines of the week: Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011; Jour De Nuit Red 2012; Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 29 September 2013
You can't judge a wine by its label, but here are three bottles where there is style inside and out…
Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011
A name honouring Spain’s greatest artist and a cubist inspired label depicting 100-year-old garnacha vines, grown in high altitudes vineyards in Caltayud. And the Pablo delivers – deep, smoky, dark fruit flavours, a little spice, terrific intensity, a long finish. Drink with robust autumn casseroles.
Jour De Nuit Red 2012
The art deco label on this southern French red made for the Co-op recently won Gold in the Harpers Wine and Spirit Design Awards and the blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon is worth a medal or two as well – black fruits, chocolate, tobacco and some vanilla from oak ageing. A grilled, pink, duck breast would be perfect.
£7.99 (normally £9.99; until 8 October)
Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Available soon from Majestic, this proves cheaper wines do not necessarily mean cheap packaging. More classy French retro design from one of the best producers of the Languedoc, this is an excellent everyday white blend, with a little Sauvignon and Vermentino giving edge to the creamy Chardonnay. There’s a perfectly good red as well.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...