Wines of the week: Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011; Jour De Nuit Red 2012; Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 29 September 2013
You can't judge a wine by its label, but here are three bottles where there is style inside and out…
Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011
A name honouring Spain’s greatest artist and a cubist inspired label depicting 100-year-old garnacha vines, grown in high altitudes vineyards in Caltayud. And the Pablo delivers – deep, smoky, dark fruit flavours, a little spice, terrific intensity, a long finish. Drink with robust autumn casseroles.
Jour De Nuit Red 2012
The art deco label on this southern French red made for the Co-op recently won Gold in the Harpers Wine and Spirit Design Awards and the blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon is worth a medal or two as well – black fruits, chocolate, tobacco and some vanilla from oak ageing. A grilled, pink, duck breast would be perfect.
£7.99 (normally £9.99; until 8 October)
Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Available soon from Majestic, this proves cheaper wines do not necessarily mean cheap packaging. More classy French retro design from one of the best producers of the Languedoc, this is an excellent everyday white blend, with a little Sauvignon and Vermentino giving edge to the creamy Chardonnay. There’s a perfectly good red as well.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
iJobs Food & Drink
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...