Wines of the week: Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011; Jour De Nuit Red 2012; Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 29 September 2013
You can't judge a wine by its label, but here are three bottles where there is style inside and out…
Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011
A name honouring Spain’s greatest artist and a cubist inspired label depicting 100-year-old garnacha vines, grown in high altitudes vineyards in Caltayud. And the Pablo delivers – deep, smoky, dark fruit flavours, a little spice, terrific intensity, a long finish. Drink with robust autumn casseroles.
Jour De Nuit Red 2012
The art deco label on this southern French red made for the Co-op recently won Gold in the Harpers Wine and Spirit Design Awards and the blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon is worth a medal or two as well – black fruits, chocolate, tobacco and some vanilla from oak ageing. A grilled, pink, duck breast would be perfect.
£7.99 (normally £9.99; until 8 October)
Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Available soon from Majestic, this proves cheaper wines do not necessarily mean cheap packaging. More classy French retro design from one of the best producers of the Languedoc, this is an excellent everyday white blend, with a little Sauvignon and Vermentino giving edge to the creamy Chardonnay. There’s a perfectly good red as well.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...