Wines of the week: Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011; Jour De Nuit Red 2012; Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 29 September 2013
You can't judge a wine by its label, but here are three bottles where there is style inside and out…
Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011
A name honouring Spain’s greatest artist and a cubist inspired label depicting 100-year-old garnacha vines, grown in high altitudes vineyards in Caltayud. And the Pablo delivers – deep, smoky, dark fruit flavours, a little spice, terrific intensity, a long finish. Drink with robust autumn casseroles.
Jour De Nuit Red 2012
The art deco label on this southern French red made for the Co-op recently won Gold in the Harpers Wine and Spirit Design Awards and the blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon is worth a medal or two as well – black fruits, chocolate, tobacco and some vanilla from oak ageing. A grilled, pink, duck breast would be perfect.
£7.99 (normally £9.99; until 8 October)
Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Available soon from Majestic, this proves cheaper wines do not necessarily mean cheap packaging. More classy French retro design from one of the best producers of the Languedoc, this is an excellent everyday white blend, with a little Sauvignon and Vermentino giving edge to the creamy Chardonnay. There’s a perfectly good red as well.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...