Wines of the week: Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011; Jour De Nuit Red 2012; Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 29 September 2013
You can't judge a wine by its label, but here are three bottles where there is style inside and out…
Pablo Old Vine Garnacha 2011
A name honouring Spain’s greatest artist and a cubist inspired label depicting 100-year-old garnacha vines, grown in high altitudes vineyards in Caltayud. And the Pablo delivers – deep, smoky, dark fruit flavours, a little spice, terrific intensity, a long finish. Drink with robust autumn casseroles.
Jour De Nuit Red 2012
The art deco label on this southern French red made for the Co-op recently won Gold in the Harpers Wine and Spirit Design Awards and the blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon is worth a medal or two as well – black fruits, chocolate, tobacco and some vanilla from oak ageing. A grilled, pink, duck breast would be perfect.
£7.99 (normally £9.99; until 8 October)
Côte Mas Blanc 2011
Available soon from Majestic, this proves cheaper wines do not necessarily mean cheap packaging. More classy French retro design from one of the best producers of the Languedoc, this is an excellent everyday white blend, with a little Sauvignon and Vermentino giving edge to the creamy Chardonnay. There’s a perfectly good red as well.
Life & Style blogs
Jaguar confirms new F-Type will go on sale in 2013
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Google Goggles: 'Terminator' style glasses that could allow you to browse the internet
The capsule wardrobe: Fashion changes, these endure
Womb cancer deaths increase by 20 per cent
The 10 Best Sandals
One foot in the rave: middle-age drug use rising
The 10 Best landline phones
10 best download-only games
Sex and the modern girl: Are we witnessing a new age of female sexual assertiveness?
- 1 Joan Smith: Call off the search teams - the G-spot is a myth
- 2 Andreas Whittam Smith: Forget what sounds clever. Just run the country
- 3 Lineker blames £25,000-a-year school after son fails to make grade
- 4 Steve Richards: Cameron can't easily dismiss the toxic trail to Murdoch's bid
- 5 'Cuddle drug' may be the new Viagra
- 6 Robert Fisk: The Children of Fallujah - the hospital of horrors
- 7 Scientists say Turin Shroud is supernatural
- 8 Sleeping around: My moment of truth happened at university
- 9 French in uproar over oral sex anti-smoking posters
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...