Wines of the week: Rioja Vega Reserva 2007, Laroche L’Avenir Pinotage 2012, Cournon Lafleur Malbec PGI Pays d’Oc 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 12 January 2014
Rioja Vega Reserva 2007
A stylish, warming and smoothly elegant Rioja Reserva that can fend off January chills. Still young, with fresh and ripe fruit and hints of leather and vanilla, this would be perfect with a roast pheasant or guinea fowl. £14.99, houseoftownend.com
Laroche L’Avenir Pinotage 2012
The French owners bring out the best of South Africa’s signature red grape here: characteristic spice and mocha, with structure, depth and length produce an enticing, full-bodied wine. Good for all robust meat dishes. £9.99, Sainsbury’s
Cournon Lafleur Malbec PGI Pays d’Oc 2012
Malbec, now more celebrated in Argentina, back in its original home and reinvented as an engaging, fruity, juicy pizza-and-pasta friendly southern French country red. £6.99 (each for two bottles as part of a purchase of six mixed bottles; until 3 February, normally £7.99), majestic.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...