Wines of the Week: Terry Kirby selects the best fizz for New Year's Eve
Sunday 30 December 2012
So, you need some sparklers to put the fizz into your New Year's Eve celebrations tomorrow? Here are three recommendations you should be able to find in your local stores today…
A fine champagne from France
Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut NV
A lovely retro label almost makes this worth buying on its own, but there is considerably more inside the bottle, which is lightly effervescent with flavours of stone fruits, a touch of honey and a pleasing citric freshness. A good champagne to serve with substantial canapés or shellfish starters. £26.99 (normally £29.99), Wine Rack; £29.99 (until 2 January, normally £38.49), Waitrose
An elegant sparkler from England
Ridgeview Marksman 2009
After such a year to be British, what better way to celebrate than with a brilliant English sparkler. Lovingly made for M&S by Ridgeview, based in East Sussex, whose wines have swept all before them, it's a richer, savoury vintage style, with tastes of apples and toasted brioche and a long, clean finish. Sumptuous. £22, Marks & Spencer
A party prosecco from Italy
Bisol Prosecco di Valdobbiadene
If you are planning a party or gathering of any sort tomorrow then this gem from the Tesco Finest range is an excellent choice and one of this year's budget sparkling recommendations by Which?. Crisply refreshing, flavours of apples, pears and a characteristic touch of lemon and a relatively low alcohol content of 11.5 per cent make it very drinkable. £8.89 (until 1 January, normally £9.99), Tesco
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...