Wines of the week: Vidal Reserve Series Pinot Noir Hawkes Bay 2011; Chateau Pigoudet 'La Chapelle' 2012; Louis Jadot Macon-Aze 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 01 September 2013
Vidal Reserve Series Pinot Noir Hawkes Bay 2011
Supremely elegant, single-vineyard Pinot from the southern hemisphere. A subtle mixture of earthy, fruity aromas and crunchy, bright cherry flavours, this is a lovely medium-bodied wine for that enticing period when summer begins to fade into autumn. Drink with roast quail or the first grouse of the season.
£13.62, thedrinkshop.com; £20.99, frazierswine.co.uk
Chateau Pigoudet 'La Chapelle' 2012
There might not be much time left for drinking a refreshing ice-cold Provençal rosé of an evening, so let's make the most of it while we can with this "pink", full of notes of red-berry fruits and wild herbs. Perfect for fish dishes where there is a little spice or tomatoes involved. £8.99 (each for two bottles as part of a box of six mixed bottles; normally £9.99), majestic.co.uk
Louis Jadot Macon-Aze 2012
Single-village white Burgundy does not always come this cheap, so snap up an excellent deal on a wine from one of the region's most reliable producers. Spot-on flavours of melons and apricots with just sufficient lemony acidity to balance the Chardonnay buttery character. £7.79 (until 10 September; normally £10.49), Waitrose
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...