Wines of the week: Weisser Burgunder trocken Achat 2012; Chateau Camplazens Viognier 2011; Tikves Smederevka Rkaciteli 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 24 November 2013
Weisser Burgunder trocken Achat 2012
The first of three new and intriguing whites is one that confounds expectations of German wines – made from Pinot Blanc, this is neither floral nor off-dry, but thrillingly refreshing and acidic, with subtle flavours of pears, quince and hints of nuts and smoky spice. Drink with all seafood, semi-hard cheeses and vegetable dishes. £15 (as part of minimum order of six mixed bottles), chixandbuck.com
Chateau Camplazens Viognier 2011
The new, modern approach of southern French country wines is exemplified by this assertive reclaiming of Viognier back from the New World: floral, honeyed, full-bodied, with flavours of apricots and tropical citrus fruits. Good with grilled or pan-fried white fish or scallops, or mild, fruity curries and salsas. £9.95, santewineimports.com
Tikves Smederevka Rkaciteli 2012
Don't let the tough pronunciation of Balkan grapes deter you from discovering some delightful, well-made and distinctive wines, such as this Macedonian white: invigorating and very dry, it is a lovely, easy drinking mix of green herbaceousness and minerality from the two grapes. £6.99, Marks & Spencer
Life & Style blogs
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...