First barrel of Dutch herring season fetches 58,000 euro
Wednesday 09 June 2010
The Dutch herring season opened Tuesday with the traditional auction of the first barrel, containing 45 herring, sold for a whopping 58,000 euros (69,000 dollars), the Fish Marketing Board announced.
The proceeds of the sale of the first five kilogramme (11 pound) keg in Scheveningen, the port of The Hague, traditionally goes to charity.
"The first auction is very symbolic," board spokeswoman Lisette Wassenaar told AFP. "The first keg was sold for 58,000 euros," she said.
Last year it fetched 66,000 euro with a record set in 2006 of 75,000 euros.
"The keg was purchased by a wholesaler," said Wassenaar, adding it would be delivered to a fish restaurant in The Hague.
Herring is prepared according to a special Dutch method: the fish is covered in salt to mature for four days, and then is frozen to stop it rotting.
"The herring has been tasted by experts and a chef. It is very good but a little less fatty than last year," said Wassenaar.
Fished in the waters off Soctland and Scandanavia, herring is generally eaten uncooked, with chopped onions and little bit of white bread.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...