Food & Drink: Tasty truffles: here's how to do it
Saturday 05 December 1992
Ingredients: 250g (9oz) dark chocolate
5 fl oz (142ml) double cream or creme fraiche
cocoa powder for dusting
2tsp (or to taste) cognac, armagnac or malt whisky
Preparation: Chop chocolate by hand or in a food processor into pieces no larger than a big raisin (a long job if you are doubling quantities). Bring cream to the boil (it will not work if you only warm it), and pour on to the chocolate. Stir until cream melts chocolate. Add the spirit. Leave mixture to cool, stirring occasionally. This may take some time, especially if you double quantities. But do not put it in the fridge: it will cool unevenly and be harder to handle. (If short of time, put mixture on a cold window ledge.) When it is firm enough to form into soft balls (test at 15-minute intervals), do so with the aid of a teaspoon - and disposable gloves if you want to stay clean.
Form into truffle shapes and roll in cocoa. Allow to cool completely out of the fridge, and store in an airtight box in a cool, but not refrigerated, place.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...