Food & Drink: Wine Box
Fans of the spicy gewurztraminer grape of Alsace who are looking for a cheaper alternative might try the Irsay Oliver, Nitra Region, Slovakia, pounds 2.99 (Thresher, Bottoms Up, Wine Rack). Irsay Oliver is the name of Slovakia's muscat-based grape variety, and this unusual dry white combines the aromatic power of the muscat grape with the full body and ginger spice of gewurztraminer. Given its assertive character, it might be best drunk as an aperitif, or with Thai food.
Paul Filliatreau is one of the Loire Valley's masters of the cabernet franc grape. His 1990 Chateau Fouquet, Saumur Rouge, pounds 6.75 (Yapp Bros, Mere, Wiltshire (0747 860423), from the walled estate of Chateau Fouquet, is one of the finest Loire reds on the market. With a fragrant, typically grassy nose and rich, intensely flavoured cabernet fruit, it's a polished all-year-round red, rather than strictly summer wine, which will improve with more time in the bottle.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Follow the latest news and score as Chelsea take on Maribor at Stamford Bridge.
Company reveals $542m investment in start-up building 'a rocket ship for the mind"
Singer says the track was 'force-fed down people's throats'
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in his pocket'
The hoverboard is real, and it could give rise to hoverhouses
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...